Saturday 27 November 2010

music

I have been looking forward to choosing audio and music for the game that I have concieved because I am so passionate about musical. I have decided to create some pieces by recording my guitar. Usually I wouldnt but I thought that it adds a personality and depth to the game concept rather than just picking songs that I like. I also wanted to add a cinematic quality to the game by choosing three songs that represent each chapter.

The future:
Clint Mansell; Dead Reckoning

This is a brillaint piece written by Clint Mansell. I think it will work well in the game because it is so epic. It creates a level of tension that will carry into the next chapter. I was considering using Charlie Clouser's Shithole theme which is similar but suggests a horror theme more so than Dead Reckoning because of its association with the saw films.

The past:
Rolling stones; Gimme shelter

I decided to choose this song because it creates a sense of nostalgia which is fitting for the idea of going back in time. The song is also quite fast paced which makes it suitable for an action adventure game. 

The present:
The XX; crystalised

I decided to use this song for the present because it is so different from the other two songs and it is modern so the audience may appreciate it more than the other two songs.

For sound effects I used a pedal on my guitar to create a megaphone sound which will be used as the voice over when the president is talking on the megaphone pillars around the city.

I also recorded cars going past my window and found some videos of trains on youtube. I converted these files into mp3s so they can be used as sound files. These sounds will represent the transport around the city. I found horn noises from trains that speed past the camera which will create a sense of speed and movement in the game even if the player cannot see the train.

 I used Cubase to edit the sounds that I created as well as the recordings I found of the trains. This gave me the chance to remove any unwanted noises, talking ect.

No comments:

Post a Comment