Wednesday 24 November 2010

The design document

I have started the game document and have realised how many holes there are in the narrative that I have for the game so far. I have concentrated so much on the concept work that all the other aspects of the project I begun to forget about. I now have to incorporate the designs into a narrative that works for the gae idea, and also consider all the other aspects of the game such as levels, characters, objects, weapons and most importantly the game mechanics.

I have found it hard to think of every aspect of the game. I also dont know how much information I need to put down to explain each aspect of the game. I have come to realise that I have been over ambitious with my game idea because there are so many things to consider with the game document, however I have started now and I dont want to change mmy idea because I believe it is quite strong.

I first created the design document. I wanted to keep the identification of the game the same as the last project so I used the same background as the presentation. I created the game document in powerpoint but I changed the layout to portrait. 

I had the basis idea for the narrative of the game but I decided t change it because it wasnt flowing properly;

The city of Drayton has reached a state of recession. The city was bought by Tranium industries, a company that takes advantage of the cities state of weakness for its own financial gain. The CEO calls himself ‘the President’.  Careers are assigned at birth for the people that live in the city with no concern for their welfare. The people begin to find strength in each other. They begin to riot to overpower Tranium Industries to change the quality of their lives. Tranium retaliates with force. Guards in riot gear patrol the streets of Drayton looking for people that ignore the curfew. Alarms ring across the city as the rebels are controlled and imprisoned for their actions. Cameras are set at every corner. The city is watched by a power that has realised fear works better than respect. The city becomes a prison for the occupants; their only choice is to lead the life that the company wants them to. Those who disobey are humiliated and killed. The rebels still exist, forever growing, waiting for a time to overpower their enemies.
Aaron is the main character in the game who the player controls throughout. He is looking for his wife and daughter when the riots begin. As he reaches for the handle if his apartment building it explodes from the other side. He is knocked unconscious and awakes watching the TV. The president is speaking. “the curfew will start at 8pm, this is your 10 minute warning”. Aaron looks around the room not recognising his surroundings. He looks out the window viewing a world that he does not Understand. It is Drayton city but in the future.
Aaron reads the note that sits next to him.
‘You must adapt, and adapt fast. You have travelled to the future to complete an objective that we have given to you. Saving your life came at a cost Aaron. You must find a man named Luth, he will know what to do next.’

No comments:

Post a Comment